Saturday 23 July 2011

How to get out of an Art block?

Please excuse my badly drawn example haha~

Well, for those of you who have lost art inspiration maybe experiencing 'art block' or 'artist block'.
'It' as Urban Dictionary  defines as 'Artist block also known as an 'art block', a usually random occurrence in which one loses inspiration and motivation to draw.' so pretty self explanatory if you ask me.



So how to get out of this troublesome art block?
One method a good online friend told me on deviantART once before, when I was 'suffering' from artist block myself was: to draw the anime 'chibi's'. Which in real world/ English terms means 'small', 'midget', 'miniature', 'short' and so on (click on any of those words for another Urban dictionary definition). So having been told this, I tried it...and I have to say, it work! This method got me thinking of ways I could make normal people into 'mintures' of themselves, which sparked that inspiration I needed to get creating and back into the flow of drawing again! Though the downside...if you are not an 'anime' artist, nor do you draw people either way....it would really come into much of a suggestion...

My other method of getting rid of art block and gaining that inspiration was found when I stumbled upon a 'childs' art programs which suggested: drawing random lines *see my example* and seeing what you make out of them. Kind of like looking up at the clouds in the sky and seeing a dinosaur or a goat, it works the same way in gaining art inspiration. With the swirly line method to getting rid of art block, it helps makes you imagine things and see things as well as making it into something. All you literally need to do is draw a random squiggly line and try and see things in it. This may take a few attempts to actually get something but it will work. When using paper draw your lines on one piece then get piece of paper and layer it on top and draw on it using the lines underneath as guidance. With photoshop like what I am using in my examples, just make multiple layers and go from there.

Please click to enlarge.







After the stage here I would carry on developing it until it was complete.













The last method I can think of, is music. This one I think works for many people. Try and capture the feel of the music, whether it be rock, pop, metal, country, rap any genre of music will work for this. Even those in a different languages it will all work to get you out of that art block.
Pick up on lyrics, draw about what they are talking about, draw how the music feels, how it makes you feel. Is it peaceful? Is it happy? Is it sad? try and evoke that emotion by drawing it or making something with it. What I find I do is doodle everything that comes to mind whilst listening to it, not mater what it is draw it, even if it has no relevence at all to the song, draw it. In that time you're bound to like something in particular that you've drawn in your doodles. So develop that, makes it more of a piece, make it into something, redraw it, with  that then  hooray, you've beaten that troublesome art block. If however whilst you're drawing that piece, inspiration lacks again, repeat the song or play a new one, to give your piece another feeling or combination of feelings, its all really up to you.

Minhyuk- Star drawing interpretation.



So for an example of this, right now I am listening to Korean musician 'Minhyuk -Star' from the kdrama soundtrack of 'Heartstrings'.  If you listen to it, is very relaxed, dreamy, and is easy to listen to.
 Even though I don't understand the language it still has the title of 'Star' which I understand and the feeling which this is what I come up with during the song was playing. With this you'd develop one with it, and again make it more of a piece.


So that is all I can think of right now on how to get out of an art block. Im sure I will be able to think of more later on sometime, to help others get inspiration. When I do, I will make a part two for this.
But yeah I hope you enjoyed reading and I hope this will help you to get out of art block your self!
Please say how you get out of art block, yourselves but leaving a comment on the comment section below!
I would love to hear you methods of getting out of art block too, so I can try it myself.


If this didn't work, please read the previous 'How to get out of an art block?' in the links below:
-> How to get out of an art block? Part 1
*How to get out of an art block? Part 2
*How to get out of an art block? Part 3
*How to get out of an art block? Part 4


  

Please note, all of these rules apply to the contents of my entire blog, please read carefully!
All of my drawings/paintings/ digital/ art pieces belong to me (MayonakaSun) and have been made by me alone unless otherwise stated in my posts.
All text/writing/reviews are written by me (MayonakaSun) and written by myself (MayonakaSun) alone again unless otherwise stated in my posts.
You Do Not have permission to copy, repost, reproduce, print, paste or sell ANY of my art work and/or text/ writing that I have posted though out my blog and/or on my deviantART page.
The only places I will ever post any of my art work and text is DeviantART and my blog, so if my art work and/or text shows up anywhere else on the Internet or elsewhere you do not have the right to have put it there and I will not have give permission for it to be there, and I will insist you take it down immediately!
Update:My artwork will now also be seen on my tumblr as well as the sites mentioned above. Same rules apply to my tumblr as the rest.
Update2:My artwork will now also be featured in my Youtube videos as well as the sites mentioned above. Same rules apply to my Youtube account as the rest.
My/Me/ I /myself= MayonakaSun :- The owner of this blog and other sites mentioned above.
You= yourself reading/person(s) reading/viewing.
Art work/Art pieces = Digital art, traditional art, tutorials, drawings, paintings and crafts all made by me.
Text/writing= Reviews, tutorial explanation(s), art work write up/explanation(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts here!